Jones, the name of five counties in the United States. I. A S. E. county of North Carolina, drained by Trent river; area, 380 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,002, of whom 2,656 were colored. It has a level and marshy surface, with pine and cypress forests, and a sandy soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 96,385 bushels of Indian corn, 14,139 of sweet potatoes, and 1,196 bales of cotton. There were 251 horses, 256 mules and asses, 683 milch cows, 1,594 other cattle, 1,610 sheep, and 4,717 swine. Capital, Trenton. II. A central county of Georgia, bounded W. by Ocmulgee river; area, 360 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,436, of whom 6,445 were colored. The surface is hilly, and the soil generally good, though much worn. Iron, granite, and quartz are found. The central Georgia railroad passes along its southern boundary, and the Macon and Augusta line crosses the S. E. portion. The chief productions in 1870 were 6,191 bushels of wheat, 108,945. of Indian corn, 6,815 of oats, 14,354 of sweet potatoes, and 5,188 bales of cotton. There were 479 horses, 891 mules and asses, 1,082 milch cows, 2,648 other cattle, 1,250 sheep, and 6,675 swine. Capital, Clinton. III. A S. E. county of Mississippi, drained by Leaf river and its tributaries; area, 672 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,313, of whom 308 were colored.
It has a rolling or slightly hilly surface, with a sandy soil of various qualities. The chief productions in 1870 were 43,187 bushels of Indian corn, 5,662 of oats, 20,503 of sweet potatoes, 29,070 lbs. of rice, and 315 bales of cotton. There were 608 horses, 1,804 milch cows, 2,738 other cattle, 3,773 sheep, and 7,764 swine. Capital, Ellisville. IV. A N. W. county of Texas, drained by the head streams of Brazos river; area, 1,004 sq. m.; returned as having no population in 1870. It is nearly all prairie; mes-quite grass and the timber of the same name abound. The soil is of a reddish color and generally fertile. The county is well adapted to stock raising. V. An E. county of Iowa, drained by Wapsipinicon and Makoqueta rivers; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 19,731. It has a diversified surface, with alternations of prairie and forest, and a fertile soil resting chiefly on a bed of limestone. The Dubuque Southwestern, the Davenport and St. Paul, and the Sabula, Ackley, and Dakota railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 476,039 bushels of wheat, 1,606,646 of Indian corn, 682,260 of oats, 111,216 of potatoes, 37,104 lbs. of wool, 733,645 of butter, 35,121 of cheese, and 37,936 tons of hay.
There were 7,791 horses, 9,736 milch cows, 9,811 other cattle, 7,725 sheep, and 18,724 swine; 10 manufactories of carriages, 1 of cheese, 6 of saddlery and harness, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, and 4 flour mills. Capital, Anamosa.