Knox, the name of nine counties in the United States.
I. A S. County Of Maine, bordering on the Atlantic, bounded E. by Penobscot bay, and intersected by the Medomac and St. George's rivers; area, 330 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 30,823. It has a productive soil, and contains a number of small lakes. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in navigation and fishing. The Knox and Lincoln railroad terminates at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 3,721 bushels of wheat, 15,445 of Indian corn, 12,276 of oats, 25,259 of barley, 190,676 of potatoes, 45,859 lbs. of wool, 395,960 of butter, and 28,014 tons of hay. There were 1,785 horses, 4,608 milch cows, 1,653 working oxen, 3,790 other cattle, 10,-600 sheep, and 1,291 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages, 18 of cooperage, 9 of cured and packed fish, 1 of gunpowder, 5 of iron, 39 of lime, 9 of marble and stone work, 9 of saddlery and harness, 6 of sails, 2 of woollen goods, 13 shipbuilding and repairing establishments, 4 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, 2 flour mills, and 9 saw mills. Capital, Rockland.
II. A N. W. County Of Texas, near the head of the Brazos river, by which and the Big Wichita it is drained; area, 1,275 sq. m. There were no inhabitants enumerated in 1870. Most of the surface is hilly and broken, but in the S. part there is an undulating mezquite prairie. Gypsum is so abundant as to render the water of most of the streams unfit for drinking, and the Wichita and Brazos are contaminated by deposits of salt near their sources. Timber is not abundant; the principal varieties are mezquite and cedar. The soil is a red loam suitable for pasturage and grain.
III. An E. County Of Tennessee, watered by Clinch, Hol-ston, and French Broad rivers; area, 575 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 28,990, of whom 4,840 were colored. The surface is mountainous, being crossed by Copper ridge, Chestnut ridge, and Bay's mountain. Iron ore, limestone, and marble are abundant, and the soil of the lowlands is fertile. It is traversed by the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia, the Knox-ville and Charleston, and the Knoxville and Kentucky railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 151,232 bushels of wheat, 548,546 of Indian corn, 259,047 of oats, 25,702 of Irish and 24,243 of sweet potatoes, 26,532 lbs. of tobacco, 26,328 of wool, 222,078 of butter, and 5,766 tons of hay. There were 4,907 horses, 4,543 milch cows, 6,795 other cattle, 13,441 sheep, and 22,519 swine; 2 manufactories of saddlery and harness, 1 of sash, doors, and blinds, 1 of machinery, 1 of printing paper, 6 of iron, 2 tanneries, 1 flour mill, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Knoxville.
IV. A S. E. County Of Kentucky, traversed by Cumberland river; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,294, of whom 557 were colored. It has a mountainous surface, and abounds in iron ore, coal, and limestone. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,670 bushels of wheat, 214,369 of Indian corn, 36,-670 of oats, 11,290 of potatoes, 14,348 lbs. of wool, 78,427 of butter, and 992 tons of hay. There were 1,212 horses, 1,534 milch cows, 3,399 other cattle, 8,372 sheep, and 12,761 swine. Capital, Barboursville.
V. A Central County Of Ohio, drained by Vernon and Wal-honding rivers and the N. fork of Licking river; area, 525 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 26,333. The surface is undulating, and the soil, particularly in the W. part, is remarkably fertile. The Lake Erie division of the Baltimore and Ohio, and the Cleveland, Mount Vernon, and Delaware railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 386,176 bushels of wheat, 20,389 of rye, 1,223,270 of Indian corn, 440,130 of oats, 97,301 of potatoes, 24,887 lbs. of tobacco, 676,603 of wool, 57,988 of maple sugar, 799,366 of butter, and 40,770 tons of hay. There were 9,429 horses, 8,542 milch cows, 12,141 other cattle, 145,613 sheep, and 27,872 swine; 24 manufactories of carriages, 4 of iron castings, 2 of engines and boilers, 1 of linseed oil, 4 of sash, doors, and blinds, 7 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of woollen goods, 6 tanneries, 2 currying establishments, 13 saw mills, and 8 flour mills. Capital, Mount Vernon.
VI. A S. W. County Of Indiana, bordering on Illinois, bounded W. by the Wabash river, S. by White river, and E. by the W. fork of the Wabash; area, 513 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,562. It has a level surface, occupied in the W. part by prairies, and contains beds of coal. The soil is very fertile. The Evans-ville and Crawfordsville, the Ohio and Mississippi, and the Indianapolis and Vincennes railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 376,950 bushels of wheat, 959,-209 of Indian corn, 55,767 of oats, 46,235 of potatoes, 56,237 lbs. of wool, 137,185 of butter, and 7,331 tons of hay. There were 6,415 horses, 4,632 milch cows, 7,571 other cattle, 18,907 sheep, and 33,110 swine; 4 manufactories of carriages, 5 of cooperage, 1 of machinery, 4 of saddlery and harness, 4 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 breweries, 8 saw mills, and 6 flour mills. Capital, Vincennes.
VII. A N. W. County Of Illinois, drained by Spoon river; area, 729 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 39,522. It has an undulating surface, diversified with prairies and woodlands, a fertile soil, well watered by creeks, and extensive beds of coal. The Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad and the Peoria branch pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 275,-418 bushels of wheat, 113,547 of rye, 2,708,-319 of Indian corn, 787,952 of oats, 12,723 of barley, 147,909 of potatoes, 53,885 lbs. of wool, 668,074 of butter, and 53,014 tons of hay. There were 18,247 horses, 10,997 milch cows, 23,738 other cattle, 16,137 sheep, and 61,768 swine; 8 manufactories of agricultural implements, 9 of brick, 3 of brooms and wisp brushes, 35 of carriages, 1 of cars, 1 of dressed furs, 2 of iron castings, 4 of machinery, 1 of marble and stone work, 10 of masonry, 2 of pumps, 16 of saddlery and harness, 14 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woollen goods, 2 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments, 5 planing mills, 6 saw mills, and 16 flour mills.
VIII. A N. E. County Of Missouri, drained by the North, South, and Middle Fabius, and the N. fork of Salt river; area, 512 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,974, of whom 200 were colored. It has a nearly level surface, diversified with woods and prairies, and a fertile soil. The Quincy, Missouri, and Pacific railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 63,-745 bushels of wheat, 573,003 of Indian corn, 257,812 of oats, 10,600 lbs. of tobacco, 62,890 of wool, and 19,065 tons of hay. There were 7,215 horses, 5,417 milch cows, 14,968 other cattle, 24,758 sheep, and 30,765 swine; 10 manufactories of carriages, 10 of brick, 8 of saddlery and harness, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woollen goods, 4 saw mills, and 3 flour mills. Capital, Edina.
IX. A N. E. County Of Nebraska (Formerly Called L'Eau Qui Court), separated from Dakota by the Missouri and Niobrara rivers; area, about 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 261. The chief productions were 1,309 bushels of wheat, 3,610 of Indian corn, 3,210 of potatoes, and 1,012 tons of hay; value of live stock, $20,610. Capital, Niobrara.