Lafayette, the name of six counties in the United States.
I. A N. County Of Florida, bordering on the gulf of Mexico, and bounded E. and N. E. by the Suwannee river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,783, of whom 197 were colored. The surface is level. The chief productions in 1870 were 28,455 bushels of Indian corn, 10,180 of sweet potatoes, 192 bales of cotton, 12 hogsheads of sugar, and 3,269 gallons of molasses. There were 200 horses, 2,020 milch cows, 4,198 other cattle, and 5,619 swine. Capital, Mcintosh.
II. A N. County Of Mississippi, drained by Tallahatchee river and its tributary the Yocknapatalfa; area, 790 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,802, of whom 7,983 were colored. It has a rolling surface, covered in places with small tracts of timber. The soil is fertile. The Mississippi Central railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 17,864 bushels of wheat, 470,305 of Indian corn, 23,772 of sweet potatoes, and 9,007 bales of cotton. There were .2,334 horses, 2,322 mules and asses, 4,515 milch cows, 1,016 working oxen, 6,832 other cattle, 6,281 sheep, and 31,514 swine; 2 tanneries, 2 currying establishments, 7 saw mills, and 1 wool-carding establishment. Capital, Oxford.
III. A S. Parish Of Louisiana, traversed by Vermilion river, which is navigable by steamboats; area, 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,388, of whom 4,755 were colored. The surface is level and the soil rich and alluvial. The principal productions in 1870 were 238,020 bushels of Indian corn, 47,043 of sweet potatoes, 14,385 lbs. of wool, 40,166 of butter, 221,600 of rice, 6,234 bales of cotton, 128 hogsheads of sugar, and 6,715 gallons of molasses. There were 4,322 horses, 944 mules and asses, 4,804 milch cows, 1,883 working oxen, 10,171 other cattle, 6,881 sheep, and 6,814 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages, 6 of molasses and sugar, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Vermilionville.
IV. A S. W. County Of Arkansas, bordering on Louisiana and Texas, and traversed by Red river and its Sulphur fork; area, 1,260 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,139, of whom 5,158 were colored. It has a good soil and a level surface, consisting partly of prairie. The chief productions in 1870 were 247,004 bushels of Indian corn, 22,303 of sweet potatoes, and 9,572 bales of cotton. There were 1,406 horses, 1,476 mules and asses, 2,779 milch cows, 3,494 other cattle, 1,392 sheep, and 11,466 swine. Capital, Lewisville.
V. A S. W. County Of Wisconsin, bordering on Illinois and drained by Fevre and Pekatonica rivers; area, 630 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,659. It has an undulating surface, thinly timbered. In the 1ST. W. part are several regular hills called the Platte mounds. Lead, copper, and limestone are abundant. The soil is fertile. The Mineral Point railroad crosses the county, and the northern division of the Illinois Central skirts the southern border. The chief productions in 1870 were 516,900 bushels of wheat, 1,294,453 of Indian corn, 1,519,202 of oats, 75,802 of barley, 198,327 of potatoes, 33,-538 of flax seed, 65,089 lbs. of wool, 689,335 of butter, 22,760 of cheese, and 38,749 tons of hay. There were 10,353 horses, 10,461 milch cows, 18,412 other cattle, 18,770 sheep, and 35,482 swine; 14 manufactories of carriages, 2 of pig lead, 5 of saddlery and harness, and 6 flour mills. Capital, Darlington.
VI. A W. County Of Missouri, bounded N. by the Missouri river and drained by a number of small streams; area, 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,-623, of whom 4,039 were colored. The Lexington branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad passes through it. The surface is undulating and well timbered. Limestone, sandstone, and coal are abundant, and the soil is remarkably fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 421,567 bushels of wheat, 1,576,126 of Indian corn, 268,881 of oats, 91,345 of potatoes, 113,-735 lbs. of tobacco, 33,100 of wool, 154,045 of butter, and 7,292 tons of hay. There were 6,983 horses, 2,760 mules and asses, 5,541 milch cows, 11,237 other cattle, 12,244 sheep, 33,334 swine, and a number of manufactories. Capital, Lexington.
Lafayette, a city and the county seat of Tippecanoe co., Indiana, at the head of navigation on the E. bank of the Wabash river, 60 m. N. W. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1850, 6,129; in 1860, 9,387; in 1870, 13,506, of whom 3,639 were foreigners; in 1874 estimated by local authorities at 22,000. It is built on rising ground, enclosed in the rear by hills of easy ascent, commanding a fine view of the river valley. It contains many handsome buildings, and has paved streets lighted with gas. Near the centre of the city is a public square containing an artesian well 230 ft. deep, from which issues sulphur water possessing curative properties. To the north and northeast are Greenbush and Springvale cemeteries, handsomely situated and adorned with trees. The battle ground of Tippecanoe, where Gen. Harrison defeated the Indians, Nov. 7, 1811, is 7 m. N. of the city; and just S. of the limits are the agricultural fair grounds of the county. Lafayette is on the line of the Wabash and Erie canal, and at the intersection of the Lafayette, Muncie, and Bloomington, the Cincinnati, Lafayette, and Chicago, the Louisville, New Albany, and Chicago, the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Lafayette, and the Toledo, Wabash, and Western railroads, by means of which and the river it commands the trade of a rich and extensive country.
There are a number of important manufactories, embracing founderies and machine shops, ornamental iron works, breweries, marble works, flouring mills, plough works, reaper works, woollen mills, pump factories, cooperages, etc. Pork packing is extensively carried on. There are five national banks, with an aggregate capital of $2,505,000, and two savings banks. The city is divided into six wards, is governed by a mayor and council of 12 members, and has a police force and a fire department. The county jail, erected in 18G9 at a cost of $95,000, is a substantial structure. The city contains several hotels, a home for the friendless, and an opera house which cost $62,000. Lafayette is the seat of Purdue university, named in honor of John Purdue, who gave it $150,000 and 100 acres of land. It also received the proceeds ($212,238) of the congressional land grant for a state college of agriculture and the mechanic arts, and the state and county have aided it by donations amounting to $110,000. The buildings already erected, at a cost of $110,000, are the dormitory, boarding house, laboratory, gymnasium, military hall, manufacturing shop, power and gas house, and janitor's residence.
The university building proper is in process of construction, and will cost $75,000. The institution has 184 acres of land connected with it. St. Mary's academy (Roman Catholic) has about 300 pupils, and there are several other Catholic schools. There are five public school buildings, the Ford school house, erected in 1869 at a cost' of $85,000, being the finest. The young men's Christian association has a free reading room and library. Three daily, one semi-weekly (German), and four weekly newspapers are published, and there are 24 churches. - Lafayette was laid out in 1825, and received a city charter in 1857. It is becoming a favorite place of resort for invalids and tourists.
Purdue University Building.