Lanark, the county town of Lanarkshire, Scotland, on the river Clyde, 656 ft. above the sea, 23 m. S. E. of Glasgow, and 31 S. W. of Edinburgh; pop. in 1871, 5,099. It consists of one main and several smaller streets, is paved and supplied with gas and water, and has six churches and various public institutions. Its inhabitants are employed chiefly in hand-loom weaving for the Glasgow and Paisley manufacturers. Shoes are also made. There are several breweries and flour mills. - About 1 m. S. is the manufacturing village of New Lanark, on the Clyde; pop. about 1,700. This village owes its origin to David Dale, who erected a cotton factory there in 1784. He was succeeded in the management by his son-in-law. Robert Owen, who in 1815 attempted an economical experiment among the workpeople. They numbered about 2,500, and were under his control till 1827, when he retired from the management of the works. The establishment was not successful, and no trace of its peculiar features now remains.
Lanark, a N. E. county of Ontario, Canada; area, 1,197 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 33,020, of whom 16,507 were of Irish, 11,873 of Scotch, and 3,220 of English origin or descent. It is watered by the Mississippi river, an affluent of the Ottawa, by the Rideau, and by several small lakes, and is traversed by the Brockville and Ottawa railway. Capital, Perth.