Laramie, an E. county of "Wyoming territory, bounded N. by Montana, E. by Dakota and Nebraska, and S. by Colorado; area, about 14,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,957. It is intersected by the North Platte, and watered in the south by the South Platte and in the north by the Big Cheyenne, a branch of the Missouri. The N. E. part is occupied by a portion of the Black Hills. The Union Pacific and Denver Pacific railroads traverse the S. part. In 1870 there were 2 manufactories of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of boots and shoes, 1 of jewelry, and 2 railroad repair shops. Capital, Cheyenne, which is also the capital of the territory.
Laramie, a city and the county seat of Albany co., Wyoming territory, on the Union Pacific railroad, 7,122 ft. above the level of the sea, 57 m. by rail and 40 m. in a direct line W. N. W. of Cheyenne; pop. in 1870, 828; in 1874, about 2,500. It is regularly laid out at right angles with the railroad. A stream of clear cold water, fed by a spring at the foot of the Black Hills a few miles E., runs through the principal streets. The railroad company has erected extensive machine shops, a depot, and a large hotel; and there are also a court house and jail, a national bank with a capital of $50,000, two schools, five churches, and two daily newspapers. It was laid out in April, 1868, when the railroad reached this point.