Lincoln, a S. county of Ontario, Canada, bounded N. by Lake Ontario, and E. by the Niagara river; area, 321 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 29,517, of whom 9,005 were of English, 7,928 of Irish, 7,396 of German, and 3,611 of Scotch origin or descent. It is traversed by the Wel-land canal, the Erie and Niagara, the Great Western, and the Welland railways. Capital, St. Catharines.
Lincoln, a city and the capital of Nebraska, county seat of Lancaster co., on the right bank of Salt creek, a tributary of the river Platte, and at the intersection of the Burlington and Missouri River, the Midland Pacific, and the Atchison and Nebraska railroads, 50 m. S. W. of Omaha, and 475 m. W. by S. of Chicago; lat, 40° 55' N., lon. 96° 52' W.; pop. in 1870, 2,441; in 1874, about 6,500. It is built on a beautiful and gently sloping prairie. The streets are lighted with gas. The-state house is a handsome edifice of white limestone, erected at a cost of $100,000. The state university, with a brick building costing $150,000, and the state agricultural college are situated here. The United States post office and court-house building, for which an appropriation of $130,000 has been made by congress, is now (1874) in course of erection. Just beyond the city limits are the state penitentiary and insane asylum. A mile and a half W. is a salt basin, where good salt is manufactured. Lincoln has a board of trade, three wholesale houses (one dry goods and two groceries), a foundery, a marble shop, a spring-bed factory, a pork-packing establishment, two bookbinderies and blank-book manufactories, three job printing offices, and five banks.
There are four public school buildings, one of which cost $55,000, with a system of graded schools, including a high school; four hotels, a public reading room, an opera house, an academy of music, two daily and three weekly newspapers, a semi-monthly periodical, and nine churches, viz.: Baptist, Congregational, Disciples', Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Protestant, Presbyterian, and Universalist. Lincoln was laid out in July, 1867.
Lincoln, a city and parliamentary and municipal borough of England, capital of Lincolnshire, and a county in itself, on the Witham, 120 m. N. by W. of London; pop. in 1871, 26,-762. It is a very ancient town, irregularly built on the side of a hill, but is paved, lighted with gas, and well supplied with water. It contains 13 churches, the principal of which is the cathedral, one of the finest in the kingdom. This stands on an eminence, and is 524 ft. long and 250 ft. wide; it has three towers, the centre one 53 ft. square and 300 ft. high, the others 180 ft. high. The famous bell called Great Tom of Lincoln hung in one of these towers, but in 1834 it was broken up and recast. Within a few years the cathedral has undergone extensive repairs and alterations. Other conspicuous buildings are the post office, the corn exchange, and the county hospital. There is a school of art,' a mechanics' institute and museum, a public library, and numerous schools and benevolent institutions. The principal industry is the manufacture of agricultural implements; there are also large breweries, tanneries, iron founderies, grist mills, boat yards, and ropewalks.
In the vicinity are numerous nurseries, lime kilns, and brick yards.
I. Levi, an American statesman, born in Hingham, Mass., May 15, 1749, died in Worcester, April 14, 1820. He graduated at Harvard college in 1772, studied law at Northampton, was admitted to the bar in 1775, and commenced practice in Worcester. He was zealous in the cause of independence, was the author of numerous patriotic appeals, and between 1775 and 1781 was successively clerk of the court and judge of probate of Worcester county. In 1779 he was government commissioner for confiscated estates. He was a delegate to the convention in Cambridge for framing a state constitution, and in 1781 was elected to the continental congress, but declined to serve. In 1796 he was a member of the house of representatives, and in 1797 of the senate of Massachusetts. In 1800 he was elected to the national congress, and in 1801 was appointed attorney general of the United States; and he was provisional secretary of state during the few months preceding the arrival of Mr. Madison. At the end of Jefferson's first term (March, 1805) he resigned.
In 1806 he was elected a member of the council of Massachusetts; in 1807 and 1808 he was lieutenant governor of the commonwealth; and after the decease of Gov. Sullivan in December, 1808, he was acting governor till the following May. In 1811 he was appointed by President Madison an associate justice of the supreme court of the United States, but declined on account of weakness of sight, which terminated in almost total blindness. A partial restoration of vision afterward enabled him to resume the cultivation of his farm and his classical studies. He was one of the original members of the American academy of arts and sciences, sustained distinguished relations to other literary institutions, and from the close of the revolution was considered the head of the Massachusetts bar.
II. Levi, eldest son of the preceding, born in Worcester, Mass., Oct. 25, 1782, died there, May 29, 1868. He graduated at Harvard college in 1802, began immediately to study law in the office of his father, then attorney general of the United States, was admitted to the bar in 1805, and practised in Worcester. Between 1812 and 1822 he was elected several times to both branches of the state legislature, and was speaker of the house in 1822. In 1814 he entered warmly into the debate in opposition to the Hartford convention, and drew up the protest against that body, which was signed by 75 other members of the legislature and was widely circulated. He was in 1820 a member of the convention called to revise the constitution of Massachusetts, was lieutenant governor of the state in 1823, and in 1824 was appointed judge of the supreme court. In 1825 he was selected by both the political parties as their candidate for governor of the state, and held the office till 1834. He is believed to have been the first governor under the constitution who exercised the veto power. He was a member of congress from 1835 to 1841, and collector of the port of Boston from 1841 to 1843. In 1844 and 1845 he was again a member of the state senate, of which body he was president in the latter year.
He was presidential elector in 1848, when he presided over the electoral college; and upon the organization of his native town as a city he became its first mayor. He was an active member of the American antiquarian society, of the American academy of arts and sciences, and of the Massachusetts historical society.
III. Enoch, brother of the preceding, born in Worcester, Mass., Dec, 28, 1788, died in Augusta, Me., Oct. 8, 1829. He entered Harvard college in 1806, subsequently received the degree of master of arts from Bowdoin college, studied law with his brother Levi at Worcester, and was admitted to the bar in 1811. He began practice in Salem, but removed in 1812 to Fryeburg in Maine. He settled in the neighboring shire town of Paris in 1819, and represented the district of Oxford in congress from 1819 to 1826. In 1827 he was elected governor of Maine, and was twice reelected with hardly any opposition. He wrote " The Village," a poem descriptive of the scenery and romance of Maine (1816), and valuable papers in the first volume of the "Maine Historical Collections." He also left in manuscript an unfinished work on the history, resources, and policy of Maine.