Los Angeles, a S. county of California, on the Pacific, drained by the San Gabriel, Los Angeles, and Santa Anna rivers; area, about 6,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,309, of whom 236 were Chinese. Except in the Los Angeles, Santa Anna, and San Fernando valleys, the surface is mountainous. These valleys are exceedingly fertile. Gold, silver, tin, copper, asbestus, and coal mines abound. Petroleum is found in the San Fernando hills, and a few wells are in operation. The county is noted especially for its extensive culture of the vine and semi-tropical fruits. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,210 bushels of wheat, 454,896 of Indian corn, 153,080 of barley, 20,407 of potatoes, 962,603 lbs. of wool, 65,590 of honey, 531,710 gallons of wine, and 11,249 tons of hay. There were 9,652 horses, 635 mules and asses, 2,468 milch cows, 19,226 other cattle, 247,603 sheep, and 5,702 swine; 2 manufactories of carriages, 2 of brick, 7 of saddlery and harness, 3 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 43 of wine, 2 breweries, 2 distilleries, 2 flour mills, and 1 quartz mill.
Capital, Los Angeles.
Los Angeles, a city and the capital of Los Angeles co., California, on the W. bank of Los Angeles river, a small stream, 30 m. above its entrance into the Pacific, and 350 m. S. S. E. of San Francisco; pop. in 1850, 1,610; in 1860, 4,392; in 1870, 5,728, of whom 2,004 were foreigners; in 1874, estimated by local authorities at 11,000. The Los Angeles and San Pedro railroad extends to the bay of San Pedro (22 m. S.), which forms its harbor. The Southern Pacific railroad is completed 28 m. S. E. and 25 m. N. of the city, and about 100 m. remain to be built (1874) to connect Los Angeles with San Francisco. The Los Angeles and Anaheim line is 29 m. long, and a narrow-gauge railroad to the nearest point on the coast (14 m.) is in progress. Along both banks of the river below Los Angeles extends a fertile plain, planted with vineyards and orange groves, and there are also large vineyards within the city limits. In the N. W. portion there is a hill 60 ft. high, commanding a fine view of the city. The adobe buildings, of which it was originally composed, are fast giving way to larger and more imposing structures.
It has a large and varied trade with the interior, and contains three banks, St. Vincent's college (Roman Catholic), several public schools, including a high school, a public library, three daily, a semi-weekly (Spanish), and two weekly (one German) newspapers, and a monthly periodical. The city is frequented in winter by invalids on account of its mild climate. It was settled by the Spaniards in 1780, and was called Pueblo de los Angeles, " town of the angels," from the excellence of its climate and the beauty of its surroundings.