Machias, the shire town and a port of entry of Washington co., Maine, on the Machias river, near its mouth, 120 m. E. by N. of Augusta, and 35 m. S. by W. of Calais; pop. in 1870, 2,525. It is connected by steamer with Portland, and a railroad, 7 3/4 m. long, used in transporting lumber, extends from Machiasport to Whitneyville. The value of foreign commerce for the year ending June 30, 1873, "was $149,213; entrances, 34 of 1,836 tons; clearances, 157 of 23,940 tons. The entrances in the coastwise trade were 102 of 72,691 tons; clearances, 3 of 656 tons; number of vessels belonging to the port, 198 of 21,697 tons; built during the year, 26 of 7,027 tons. A few vessels are employed in the cod and mackerel fishery. The town contains an iron foundery, manufactories of sash and blinds and of harness, several ship-building establishments, a savings bank, three hotels, two weekly newspapers, and six churches. The first permanent settlement was made in 1763. The town was incorporated in 1784. - Machiasport (pop. in 1870, 1,526), on Machias bay, at the mouth of Machias river, was separated from Machias and incorporated as a distinct town in 1826. It has an excellent harbor, and contains several boat and ship-building establishments.