Mackinaw, an E. county of the upper peninsula of Michigan, bordering on Lake Michigan and the straits of Mackinaw; area, about 1,250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,716. The surface is uneven and is well wooded. Timber is the principal article of export. Capital, Mackinaw.

Mackinaw #1

Mackinaw (also called Mackinac, and formerly Michilimackinac), a village and the county seat of Mackinaw co., Michigan, situated on an island of the same name in the strait of Mackinaw, which connects Lakes Michigan and Huron, 215 m. N. of Lansing, and 260 m. N. N. W. of Detroit; pop. about 800. Mackinaw island is about 3 m. long and 2 m. broad. It is rough and rocky, and produces little except oats and potatoes. The village has a considerable trade in fish, but derives its chief importance from being a fashionable place of summer resort, and the seat of Fort Mackinaw, a United States military post. The fort is situated on a rocky eminence 150 ft. high, overlooking the village and commanding the strait. The village contains four hotels, several stores, and one or two churches.