Malplaquet, a village of France, in the department of Le Nord, 10 m. S. by AV. of the Belgian town of Mons, celebrated for a battle between the allied forces under Marlborough and Prince Eugene, and the French under Marshal Villars, Sept, 11, 1709. The battle commenced at 8 o'clock in the morning, the principal attack of the allies being directed upon the enemy's left, where Villars himself held command. The French at first repelled their assailants, but Villars having become disabled by a wound, the allies succeeded in forcing the position; and the French, in spite of desperate efforts by the new commander, Bonders, and the chevalier St. George, son of James II., eventually succumbed, though they effected their retreat in good order. In this battle, the bloodiest in the war of the Spanish succession, the allies, who brought into the field 80,000 men and 140 guns, lost in killed and wounded more than 20,000 men; the French, who numbered 70,000 men with 80 guns, lost more than half that number; but some accounts place the loss on both sides as high as 42,000. During the battle Marlborough exposed himself to frequent perils, and the report of his death, which was at one time prevalent in the French ranks, gave rise to the once popular military refrain: Mal-brooh s'en va t'en guerre, which was reproduced from a song of the 16th century on the death of the duke of Guise.