Marmaros, a N. E. county of Hungary, bordering on Galicia, Bukowina, and Transylvania, and the counties of Bereg, Ugocsa, and Szat-mar; area, 3,998 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 220,506, including about 100,000 Ruthenians, 50,000 Wallachs, 20,000 Jews, 15,000 Magyars, and 3,000 Germans. The United Greek church is the most numerous, there being only about 15,000 Roman Catholics and 6,000 Protestants. Marmaros is next to Bihar and Pesth the largest county of Hungary, but far more thinly populated. The Carpathians separate it from Galicia, Bukowina, and Transylvania, and traverse it in many directions, the highest peaks rising to an altitude of 7,000 ft. At the foot of Mt. Csorna rises the Black Theiss, which joins the White Theiss in this count v. Iron, lead, marble, alabaster, coal, and crystals art' found, and in a few localities also gold. The Marmaros diamonds are celebrated. The salt mines are immense. The Suliguli is the most important of the mineral springs. The forests are rich in wood, especially oak. Horses and sheep are raised in great numbers. Excepting the limited valley of the Theiss, the country does not favor the production of cereals, fruits, and wine, and maize is the principal grain raised for local consumption.