Mayo, a maritime county of Ireland, in the province of Connaught, bordering on Sligo, Roscommon, Gahvay, and the Atlantic ocean; area, 2,131 sip m.; pop. in 1871, 245,855. The coasts are indented by numerous bays and harbors, the principal of which are Killala bay on the north, and Broadhaven, Blacksod, and Clew bays on the west. The surface toward the east is level and fertile, but the western districts are for the most part barren and mountainous, some of the summits attaining an elevation of more than 2,500 ft. The only important river is the Moy, but the lakes are numerous, the largest being Loughs Corrib, Mask, Conn. Cullin, and Carra, the two first named belonging in part to the county of Gahvay. The most important minerals are iron, marble, and slate; but the iron mines, though valuable, are not worked for want of fuel. Oats are the chief crop, but a large part of the land is devoted to pasturage. The principal manufactures are linens, flannels, woollen stockings, and straw hats. Chief towns, Castlebar (the capital), Ballina, and Westport.

Mayo #1

I. Amory Dwteht

Amory Dwteht, an American clergyman, born in Warwick, Mass., Jan. 31,1823. He passed a year in Amherst college, then studied theology, was ordained, and was settled at Gloucester, Mass., over the Independent Christian church. Eight years afterward he removed to Cleveland, Ohio, and preached one year to the Congregational society of Liberal Christians. In 1855 he took charge of the first Congregational Unitarian society of Albany, and subsequently of a congregation in Cincinnati. He afterward became pastor of a church in Springfield, Mass., a post which he still occupied in 1874. He has contributed much to periodicals, and many of his writings in vindication of his peculiar religious tenets appeared m a serial publication, the Albany "Tracts for the rimes." Among his works are: "The Balance" (Boston, 1847); "Graces and Pow-ers of the Christian Life" (Boston, 1852): "Symbols of the Capital" (New York, 1859) and "Religion in Common Schools" (Cincinnati, 1869). He also prepared a selection from the writings of his wife, with a memoir (Boston, 1849). H Sarah C. (Edgarton), wife of the preceding, born at Shirley, Mass., in 1819, died in 1848. She was married in 1846. During nine years she edited " The Rose of Sharon," an annual, conducted "The Ladies' Repository," and contributed to various periodicals.

She wrote "The Palfreys," "Ellen Clifford," and "Memoirs of Mrs. Julia W. Scott;" and compiled "The Poetry of Women," "The Flower Vase," "Spring Flowers," "The Floral Fortune Teller," and "Fables of Flora".