Milton, a N. county of Georgia, bounded S. E. by the Chattahoochee river, and watered by several streams; area, about 150 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,284, of whom 466 were colored. The surface is broken and the soil generally fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 24,896 bushels of wheat, 93,095 of Indian corn, 15,331 of oats, 9,015 of sweet potatoes, 3,048 lbs. of wool, 24,026 of butter, and 9,759 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 457 horses, 2,191 cattle, 1,921 sheep, and 4,398 swine. Capital, Alpharetta.
Milton, a township and post village of Rock co., "Wisconsin, on the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul, and the Chicago and Northwestern railroads, 30 m. S. E. of Madison, and 62 m. by rail S. W. of Milwaukee; pop. in 1870, 2,010. It is the seat of Milton college, established in 1807 by the Seventh-day Baptists. This institution has normal, scientific, and classical (embracing preparatory and collegiate) courses. In 1873-4 it had 8 instructors, 203 students (78 of collegiate grade), and a library of 1,800 volumes. It admits both sexes.