Mohacs, a town of S. Hungary, in the county of Baranya, on the W. arm of the Danube, 110 m. S. by W. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 12,140. It is an episcopal see, and contains the bishop's palace, a Roman Catholic, a Greek, and a Protestant church, a monastery, an ancient castle, a gymnasium, and the county buildings. It is a station of the Danube steamers, and the depot of considerable commerce in coal, wood, wine, and agricultural produce, most of which goes to Vienna. Five annual fairs are held here, the principal one being a cattle fair. A great battle was fought here, Aug. 29, 1520, between an army of 200,000 Turks under Soly-man the Magnificent and one of 30,000 under the Hungarian king Louis II., which resulted in the defeat of the latter, 22,000 of whom, including seven prelates and 28 chief magnates, were slain, and the king perished on the retreat. A second battle of Mohacs, Aug. 12, 1087, resulted in an almost equally decisive defeat of the Turks by the Austro-Hungarian army under Charles of Lorraine; the Turks lost 20,000 men, the Christians 000.