Moms (Flem. Bergen), a fortified city of Belgium, capital of the province of Hainaut, on the river Trouille, 32 m. S. S. W. of Brussels; pop. in 1871, 27,764. It communicates with the Scheldt by the canal of Mons, and is connected by railways with Brussels, Namur, and Valenciennes. The E. side is protected by two large ponds, and the surrounding country may be flooded by admitting the river Trouille. The walls are in the form of a polygon, and have five gates and 14 bastions. The principal church is that of St. Wandru (Waltrudes), a fine Gothic edifice begun in 1460. Among other principal public buildings are the castle, the Gothic town hall, court house, theatre, arsenal, and military hospital. The town contains also a college, which in 1873 had 252 students, a school of art, a public library, and a society of art and science. There are several salt and sugar refineries. In the vicinity are coal mines which give employment to more than 25,000 persons. The coal basin in which the city is situated is called the Borinage, and the miners Borains. In coal, flax, hemp, grain, timber, horses, cattle, and manufactures an active trade is carried on.