Multnomah, a N. W. county of Oregon, bordering E. on the Cascade mountains, bounded N. by the Columbia river, and intersected in the west by the Willamette; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870; 11,510, of whom 508 were Chinese. The soil is generally fertile, and agriculture and cattle raising are the chief industries. It is traversed by the Oregon and California and Oregon Central railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,003 bushels of wheat, 1,473 of Indian com, 11,882 of oats, 3,724 of barley, 1.826 of peas and beans, 60,490 of potatoes, 4,626 lbs. of wool, 115,-549 of butter, 11,260 of cheese, and 6,138 tons of hay. There were 838 horses, 1,966 milch cows, 2,213 other cattle, 2,583 sheep, and 2,583 swine; 1 manufactory of awnings and tents, 4 of bread, 8 of carriages and wagons, 27 of clothing, 3 of confectionery, 6 of cooperate, 5 of furniture, 4 of iron castings, 6 of engines and boilers, 5 of saddlery and harness, 3 of sash, doors, and blinds, 8 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 5 of upholstery, 5 tan-aeries, 4 breweries, 3 Hour mills, 1 planing mill, 7 saw mills, and 1 beef and 1 pork packing establishment.

Capital, Portland.