Muskingum, a river of Ohio, formed by the junction of the Walhonding and Tuscarawas, which rise in the N. part of the state and unite at Coshocton, whence it flows S. E. for about 110 m. through Muskingum, Morgan, and Washington counties, and enters the Ohio river at Marietta, its mouth being 225 yards wide. At Zanesville and other points abundant water power is afforded by falls. It is navigable for steamboats to Dresden, 95 m. from its mouth.
Muskingum, a S. E. county of Ohio, intersected by the Muskingum river, which affords abundant water power, and drained by Licking river and other branches; area, 665 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 44,886. It has a diversified surface and fertile soil, and contains bituminous coal, iron ore, and salt, the last procured by deep boring into the whitish sandstone, or salt rock. Large quantities of salt and coal are exported. It is intersected by the Ohio canal and the Central Ohio division of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad. The Muskingum Valley railroad terminates at Zanesville, and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis passes through the N. W. corner; there is also a branch from Dresden to Zanesville. The chief productions in 1870 were 336,984 bushels of wheat, 1,198,677 of Indian corn, 313,240 of oats, 185,-130 of potatoes, 605,194 lbs. of wool, 815,562 of butter, and 38,094 tons of hay. There were 9,430 horses, 9,379 milch cows, 15,480 other cattle, 145,954 sheep, and 21,690 swine; 5 manufactories of agricultural implements, 8 of brick, 19 of carriages and wagons, 1 of railroad cars, 3 of Avoollen and 1 of cotton goods, 4 of furniture, 3 of glass ware, 2 of iron, 7 of castings, 11 of saddlery and harness, 8 of salt, 31 of stone and earthen ware, 18 tanneries, 5 breweries, 13 flour mills, 5 saw mills, and 2 lime kilns.