Muttra, a city of British India, in the Northwestern Provinces, capital of a district of the same name, on the "W". bank of the Jumna, 30 m. N". K W. of Agra; pop. in 1872, 51,540. It is picturesquely built on high ground in the form of a crescent, and was once well fortified. Flights of stone steps, or ghauts, adorned with temples, lead down to the river, which is accounted sacred by the Hindoos, and every day crowds of devotees frequent its banks to perform their religious rites. The streets are steep, narrow, and dirty, and rendered more difficult by deep ravines which run through the town. There are some striking ruined buildings, among which is a fort, having on its roof an observatory with astronomical instruments. One of the most beautiful edifices is a temple and dwelling house together, built by a former treasurer of the state of Gwalior, and approached through a richly carved gateway. The British have extensive cantonments about a mile distant. Muttra is held in great reverence by the Hindoos as the birthplace of Krishna, and is overrun with sacred monkeys, bulls, paroquets, and peacocks, which are fed and protected, but allowed to go at large in the streets. The wealth and importance of the place were formerly much greater than at present.
Mahmoud of Ghuzni sacked it in 1017, and carried off or destroyed an enormous amount of treasure. Among other rich specimens of handicraft, he found five idols of gold with eyes of rubies, and 100 idols of silver, each as large as a camel could carry. At the commencement of the present century the town was taken by Sindia, who bestowed it on the French adventurer Perron; and in 1803 it was occupied by the British troops, and soon afterward ceded to the East India company. A detachment of sepoys mutinied at Muttra in the latter part of May, 1857, shot their British officers, and marched to Delhi.