Narbonne (anc. JSfaroo Martins), a city of Languedoc, France, in the department of Aude, near the Mediterranean, with which it is connected by a canal, 33 m. E. of Carcassonne, and 54 m. S. W. of Montpellier; pop. in 1866, 17,172. The most remarkable edifices are the cathedral of St. Just, a handsome Gothic structure founded in the 13th century; the church of St. Paul, an ancient building in the Romanesque style; and the hotel de ville, formerly the archiepiscopal palace, one of the towers of which dates from the 14th century. Within it Louis XIII. signed the order for the arrest of Cinq-Mars and De Thou. The seat of the archbishopric has been transferred to Toulouse. There are important manufactures of verdigris, linen, woollen, and leather, and trade in wine, and in honey celebrated for its whiteness. - Narbo Martius was founded by the Romans in 118 B. C. Many of the soldiers of Caesar's tenth legion having been settled there at the end of the civil war, it was thence frequently called Decumanorum Colonia. It was taken by the Saracens in 719, and held by them for nearly half a century. In the middle ages it was one of the most flourishing towns in France, containing more than 40,000 inhabitants.
No building of the Roman period now exists, the ruins having been used in the construction of the city walls, in which about 500 Roman bass reliefs, friezes, and inscriptions were visible, besides Saracenic ramparts. The walls were pulled down after 1865, and many of the ancient sculptures are gathered in the museum. Varro, the Latin poet, and the Roman emperor Cams, were born in or near Narbonne. One of the four provinces of Gaul, as divided by Augustus, was called from this city Gallia Narbonensis.