Nauvoo, a township of Hancock co., Illinois, on a bend of the Mississippi river, near the head of the lower rapids, 52 m. above Quincy and 220 m. above St. Louis; pop. in 1870, 1,578. The city of Nauvoo was founded by the Mormons in 1840, and contained about 15,000 inhabitants at the time of their expulsion in 1846 by the neighboring people. It was regularly laid out with broad streets crossing at right angles, and the houses were built generally of logs, with a few frame and brick buildings interspersed. A temple 130 ft. long by 90 wide was erected of polished limestone. The baptistery was in the basement, and held a large stone basin supported by 12 colossal oxen. In 1848 this building was set on fire by an incendiary, and all destroyed except the walls, which on May 27, 1850, were overthrown by a tornado. In 1850 Nauvoo was occupied 1,V M Cabet, a French communist, with a small body of followers, called Icarians; He died in and his community was broken up in the following year. Two weekly newspapers ( one Germau) are published.