A Central County Of Virginia, bordered S. E. by the James river and N. W. by the Blue Ridge, and drained by the Rock-fish, Rock, and Tye rivers; area, 340 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,898, of whom 6,312 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. A canal extending along the James river connects it with Richmond, and it is intersected by the Washington City, Virginia Midland, and Great Southern railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 77,106 bushels of wheat, 186,85s of Indian corn, 98,771 of oats, 12,707 of Irish and 4,374 of sweet potatoes, 1,199,182 lbs. of tobacco, 6,629 of wool, 111,524 of butter, and 5,122 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,952 horses, 2,246 milch cows, 707 working oxen, 3,073 other cattle, 3,048 sheep, and 8,423 swine. Capital, Lovingston.
A Central County Of Kentucky, drained by Rolling fork and Beech fork of Salt river; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,804, of whom 3,918 were colored. It has an undulating surface and a fertile soil, especially toward the north. It is traversed by the Louisville and Nashville and Great Southern railroad, and its Lexington division. The chief productions in 1870 were 148,294 bushels of wheat, 22,085 of rye, 774,315 of Indian corn, 151,589 of oats, 25,583 of sweet potatoes, 5,150 tons of hay, 28,282 lbs. of wool, 205,289 of butter, and 8,713 gallons of sorghum and 10,052 of maple molasses. There were 5,406 horses, 1,542 mules and asses, 3,364 milch cows, 7,916 other cattle, 11,096 sheep, and 35,534 swine; 4 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 8 distilleries, 3 flour mills, 14 saw mills, and 2 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments. Capital, Bardstown.
A Province Of New Zealand, forming the N. W. part of South island, bounded E. by the province of Marlborough, and S. by Canterbury; area, 11,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 22,501. A portion of the W. part is mountainous. Iron, copper, and gold are found. The exports of gold from April 1, 1857, to Dec. 31, 1871, amounted to 1,126,504 oz., valued at £4,458,000.
A Seaport Town, capital of the province, on a small harbor at the bottom of Blind bay, 78 m. (150 m. by water) W. of Wellington, and 1,280 m. S. E. of Sydney, Australia; pop. about 6,000; with suburbs, 8,000. It is the seat of an Anglican bishop, and has a literary institute and museum, numerous public and private schools, a college, several churches, and three branch banks. The chief manufactures are cloth and leather. Steamers ply regularly to the neighboring ports and Melbourne, and periodically to Sydney. Four newspapers were published in 1873, one of which was a daily.