New Haven, a S. county of Connecticut, on Long Island sound, bounded W. by the Housa-tonic river, and drained by the Naugatuck, Quinepiack, and other streams; area, 640 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 121,257. The surface is generally uneven, mountainous in the middle and toward the east, and the soil is moderately fertile. On the coast there are several excellent harbors. It is intersected by several railroads, centring in New Haven. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,358 bushels of wheat, 56,868 of rye, 234,331 of Indian corn, 106,372 of oats, 17,039 of buckwheat, 511,009 of potatoes 73,971 tons of hay, 103,562 lbs. of tobacco, 24, 751 of wool, and 804,246 of butter. There were on farms 4,752 horses, 10,841 milch cows, 5,050 working oxen. 9,203 other cattle, 8,591 sheep, and 6,648 swine. There were 940 manufacturing establishments, with a capital of $29,-44,641 and annual products valued at $45,156,-181 The most important were 62 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 5 of clocks, 18 of cutlery and edge tools, 55 of hardware, 10 of hoop skirts and corsets. 7 of India-rubber and elastic goods, 6 of forged and rolled iron, 25 of castings, 22 of machinery, 14 of plated ware, 1 of straw goods, 24 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 10 of woollen goods, and 17 saw mills.
Capital, New Haven.