Niagara, a W. county of New York, bounded N. by Lake Ontario, S. by Tonawanda creek, and W. by Niagara river; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 50,437. The surface is un-lulating, except on the border of the lake, where it is low and level. The soil is productive and highly cultivated. It is traversed by the New York Central railroad: and branches, and by the Erie canal. The chief productions in 1870 were 961,303 bushels of wheat, 396,-342 of Indian corn, 790,243 of oats, 215,988 of barley, 236,026 of potatoes, 296,458 lbs. of wool, 25,463 of hops, 1,392,038 of butter, 57,-596 of cheese, and 52,916 tons of hay. There were 12,218 horses, 11,594 milch cows, 7,952 other cattle, 53,362 sheep, and 11,964 swine. The number of manufacturing establishments was 421, employing $2,968,605 capital; value of products, $5,411,933. The most important were 16 flour mills, 25 saw mills, 2 woollen mills, 6 manufactories of agricultural implements, 32 of carriages and wagons, 51 of coop-3rage, 1 of edge tools, 1 of glass ware, 1 of hosiery, 6 of forged and cast iron, 7 of machinery, and 2 of paper.
Niagara, a town of Niagara co., New York, on the Niagara river, extending above and be-ow the falls; pop. in 1870, 6,832. It contains wo incorporated villages, Niagara Falls, at the falls, and Suspension Bridge, formerly Niagara City, about a mile below. Their prosperity depends largely upon the great numbers of tourists that resort to the falls. - Niagara Falls (pop. in 1870, 3,006) is connected with Buffalo and Suspension Bridge by branches of he Erie and New York Central railroads, and with Drummondville on the Canadian side of he river by a suspension bridge. It contains paper mill, two grist mills, several planing hills and machine shops, including the repair hops of the New York Central railroad, a ranking and exchange office, four large and seven smaller hotels, two public school buildings with graded schools, a young ladies' institute, a weekly newspaper, and five churches. - Suspension Bridge (pop. in 1870, 2,276) is the port of entry of the collection district of Niagara. It is one of the western termini of the New York Central railroad, and is connected with Clifton (the eastern terminus of the Great Western railroad) on the Canadian side of the river by a suspension bridge for railroad and ordinary travel.
It contains a grist mill and some small manufacturing shops, a banking and exchange office, one large and eight smaller hotels, a public school building with graded schools, two weekly newspapers (one masonic), and three churches.