Ningpo, a city of China, in the province of Chekiang, on the Takia or Ningpo river, near its mouth in the harbor of Chusan, 100 m. S. of Shanghai; lat. 29° 51' N., Ion. 121° 32' E.; pop. in 1869 estimated at 500,000. It is surrounded by a dilapidated wall about 6 m. in circumference, 25 ft. high, and 15 ft. broad at the top, with five gates. The streets are long and broad, and the town is intersected by canals and connected with its suburbs by a bridge of boats. There are several temples, the most remarkable of which is a brick tower 160 ft. high, said to have been erected 1,100 years ago. There are government warehouses and public buildings. The houses are mostly one story high, but the shops are superior to those of Canton. In 1843 a missionary hospital was established at Ningpo, and all classes have resorted to it for surgical assistance. The ground in the neighborhood is flat and exceedingly fertile, but a range of barren hills runs along the seashore. The principal manufactures are silk, cotton, and woollen goods; and there are very extensive salt works. Vessels of about 300 tons can come up to the town, while those of greater size load and unload at the mouth of the river. The foreign imports are small. - Ningpo was taken by the British in 1841, and occupied for some months.
It is one of the five ports opened to general intercourse by the treaty of Aug. 26, 1842. The Roman Catholics and several Protestant sects have flourishing missions here. In 1869 the various Protestant missions in Ningpo and Hangchow had 19 missionaries, 965 communicants, and 284 pupils.