Norristown, a borough and the capital of Montgomery co., Pennsylvania, on the N. bank of the Schuylkill river, and on the Philadelphia, Germantown, and Norristown railroad, 16 m. N. W. of Philadelphia; pop. in 1850, 6,024; in 1860, 8,848; in 1870, 10,753. It has a healthy and beautiful situation, and the neighborhood abounds in excellent marble, iron, and limestone. The streets are laid out at right angles and are well paved and finely shaded, and the houses are built in a neat, substantial manner, of brick and marble. The main street is sewered, and water and gas are conveyed through it in pipes. The principal buildings are the court house, the jail, and music hall. The court house, finished in 1855, is built of the light gray native marble, and cost over $200,000. The Schuylkill river is crossed by two substantial covered bridges, about 800 ft. long, leading into Bridgeport on the opposite bank. The improved navigation of the Schuylkill affords facilities for the trade of the town, which is active and increasing. Among the manufactories are two blast furnaces, six woollen and cotton mills, four machine works, tack works, glass works, an oil refinery, and three rolling mills.
There are three banks, a seminary, five public schools (number of pupils enrolled Jan. 1, 1875, 1,810), three daily and five weekly (one German) newspapers, and 13 churches. The borough was incorporated in 1812, and enlarged in 1853.