North And South Concan, a maritime tract of the Bombay presidency, British India, extending from the Portuguese settlement of Goa on the south to the river Damaun on the north, bounded W. by the Indian ocean and E. by the Ghauts; area, about 1,000 sq. m.; pop. about 1,500,000. The surface is rugged, and the mountains on the E. frontier attain in some places an elevation of 4,700 ft. Deep ravines and thick forests occupy the E. portion, whence the surface slopes by degrees toward the sea-coast, where the mean elevation is not more than 100 ft. Part of the country is fertile, populous, and susceptible of high cultivation. One of the most remarkable characteristics of the climate is the violence of the monsoon rains, the mean annual fall in some places amounting to 239 inches. There are numerous bays and harbors, which for ages afforded secure retreats to pirates. The Great Mogul maintained a fleet for the purpose of checking them, the Portuguese frequently attacked them, and from the year 1756 numerous expeditions from Bombay were despatched against them by the British; but the piratical system was not wholly suppressed till 1812. When the Hindoos conquered the country they gave it to a tribe of Brahmans, from whom it was wrested by the Mohammedan kings of Bejapoor. In the 17th century it passed into the possession of Sevajee, the founder of the Mahratta empire.
Toward the close of the same century the pirate chief Conajee Angria established a kingdom here, extending 120 m. along the coast, and inland as far as the Ghauts. In 1756 most of this territory was restored to the peishwa by the united British and Mahratta forces. North Concan, which is inhabited by wild uncivilized tribes called Bheels, was once held by the Portuguese. The territory was ceded to Great Britain in 1817. South Concan passed under British rule, partly by cession, partly by conquest, in 1818.