Northwestern University, an institution of learning situated at Evanston, 111., 12 m. N. of Chicago. The university grounds consist of about 30 acres on the shore of Lake Michigan. The principal buildings are university hall, which contains the chapel, library, museum, and recitation rooms, Heck hall or college of theology, and the woman's college of literature and art. The university, which is in charge of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, embraces the following faculties: 1, college of literature and science; 2, college of technology, founded in 1873; 3, college of literature and art, formerly the Evanston college for young ladies, which was united with the university in 1873; 4, conservatory of music; 5, college of theology, or Garrett Biblical institute, established in 1856; 6, college of law, established in 1873 in conjunction with the university of Chicago, the two institutions agreeing to unite in the maintenance of the Chicago law school; 7, college of medicine, begun in 1869, when the Chicago medical college became a part of the university; 8, preparatory school.
The library contains about 30,000 volumes, 20,000 of which formerly constituted the private library of Dr. Johannes Schulze of the Prussian ministry of public instruction, purchased and presented to the university in 1870 by Luther L. Greenleaf of Evanston. The library has a fund of $60,000, the interest of which is to be added to the principal until a sum sufficient to erect a fire-proof building is secured. The museum comprises about 15,000 specimens. Every course of study is open to both sexes. The university was chartered Jan. 28, 1851, and formally opened Nov. 1, 1855. Its presidents have been as follows: Clark T. Hinman, D. D., 1853-'5; R. S. Foster, D. D., 1856-'60; Henry S. Noves (acting), 1860-'69; E. O. Haven, D. D., 1869-'72; and C. H. Fowler, D. D., 1872. In 1874 there were in all the departments 62 professors, instructors, and lecturers, and 866 students, of whom 212 were in the academical school, 403 in the preparatory school, 166 in the theological school, and the remainder distributed among the other schools.