Norwalk, a town and borough of Fairfield co., Connecticut, on Long Island sound, at the terminus of the Banbury and Norwalk rail road, and on the New York, New Haven, and Hartford railroad, 60 m. S. W. of Hartford and 43 in. by rail N. E. of New York; pop. of the town in 1860, 7,582; in 1870, 12,119, including about 6,000 in the borough. The town contains five post offices, Norwalk, Rowayton, South Norwalk, West Norwalk, and Winnipauk, and besides the borough includes the city of South Norwalk (pop. 3,000), incorporated in 1870. There are four railroad stations. The Norwalk river empties into the sound at this point, and a horse railroad connects Norwalk bridge and South Norwalk. Vessels drawing six feet of water can reach the up-town wharves at low tide, and freight and passenger steamers make daily trips to New York. Norwalk is especially noted for its trade in oysters. The natural scenery is fine, combining land and water views of much beauty. There are many elegant residences. The town is divided into 11 school districts, and has good public schools, several excellent private schools, and three weekly newspapers.
It contains two large felt cloth factories, a fancy cassimere factory, two straw hat factories, a number of large felt hat factories, a shirt factory, iron works, a lock factory, a paper box factory, a manufactory of wrapping paper, a pottery, boot and shoe factories, etc. The borough has an efficient fire department, and fine water works, which also supply Winnipauk, a manufacturing village, which together with the borough and city is supplied with gas. The borough contains two national banks, two savings banks, and a fire insurance company; the city, one national bank, one savings bank, and a fire insurance company. There are 16 churches, of which 6 are in the borough, 4 in the city, and 6 in other parts of the town. - Norwalk was settled about 1640. It was burned by the British, under Gov. Tryon, in July, 1779. It was the scene of a terrible railroad accident in 1853, when an express train plunged into the open draw, and 50 lives were lost. The borough was incorporated in 1836.
Norwalk, a town and the capital of Huron co., Ohio, on the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railroad, 95 m. N. by E. of Columbia, and 56 m. by rail W. of Cleveland; pop. in 1870, 4,498. It extends along a sandy ridge, and is built principally on a single street shaded by a double row of maples. The buildings are tastefully constructed. The town is lighted with gas, and has Holly water works. It contains several founderies and machine shops, flouring and saw mills, two national banks, graded public schools, two weekly newspapers, and 12 churches.