Nuelles, Or Nivelle (Flem. Nyvel), a town 3f Belgium, in the province of Brabant, 17 m. 3. of Brussels; pop. in 1866, 9,050. The place its irregularly and poorly built, but there are two pleasant public squares, and several fine churches and public edifices. The church of St. Gertrude, the crypt of which is noteworthy for its architectural beauty, is a relic of the Benedictine abbey founded here by St. Gertrude, daughter of Pepin of Landen, in 645, around which the town grew up. Its abbess was a princess of the empire till the French revolution, and named the magistrates of the town, which at the beginning of the loth century had 30,000 inhabitants. On the tower of the church a bronze statue, commonly called "Jean de Nivelle," strikes the hours upon a large bell. This Jean de Nivelle (1422-'77), son of Jean II. de Montmorency, was outlawed in France for joining the duke of Burgundy against Louis XI., and afterward lived here on estates inherited from his mother. He was the progenitor of the line of Montmorency-Nivelle, which, after intermarriage with the counts Horn, succeeded to their estates and name, and included the ancestors of the count Horn afterward famous in the history of the Netherlands. The town has important educational and charitable institutions, and considerable trade in cattle and grain.
The French defeated the Austrians at Nivelles in 1794.