Oconee, the N. W. county of South Carolina, bounded 1ST. by North Carolina, E. by the Keo-wee river, and separated from Georgia on the west by the Chattooga and Tugaloo rivers; area, about 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,536, of whom 2,422 were colored. The 1ST. part is hilly and mountainous; the rest is rolling and undulating. The soil of the valleys is fertile. The Blue Ridge railroad terminates at Wal-halla, and the Atlanta and Richmond Air Line railroad crosses the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 10,533 bushels of wheat, 138,903 of Indian corn, 8,950 of sweet potatoes, 810 bales of cotton, 8,029 lbs. of wool, and 23,660 of rice. There were 818 horses, 1,578 milch cows, 3,270 other cattle, 4,858 sheep, and 6,502 swine. Capital, Walhalla.
Oconee, a river of Georgia, which rises in Hall co., in the N. E. part of the state, and flows in a S. S. E. direction until its junction with the Ocmulgee to form the Altamaha. Its total length is about 250 m., and it is navigable to Milledgeville, 100 m. above its mouth.