Ohio Wesleyan University, an institution of learning at Delaware, Delaware co., Ohio. In 1842 the citizens of Delaware purchased the property known as the Sulphur Springs, a watering place of some note, and offered it to the Ohio and North Ohio conferences of the Methodist Episcopal church as a site for a college. In 1843 a charter was granted with full university powers, and in 1844 a faculty was partially organized, and students were admitted into both the preparatory department and college classes. The college grounds are very beautiful, and contain more than 800 varieties of trees and shrubs. The institution has libraries containing more than 13,000 volumes and extensive cabinets of natural history. The endowment fund is about $250,000. A large number of cheap scholarships have been sold, so that practically tuition is nearly free. A students' loan fund affords aid to indigent young men preparing for the ministry. In 1875-6 there were 10 instructors and 200 preparatory and 163 collegiate students. The whole number of classical graduates is (1876) 623. The presidents have been as follows: the Rev. Edward Thomson, 1846-'60; the Rev. Frederick Merrick, 1860-'73; the Rev. Lorenzo D. McCabe (acting), 1873-'6; and the Rev. Charles II. Payne, inaugurated in June, 1876.