Oldham, a N. county of Kentucky, separated from Indiana by the Ohio river; area, about 200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,027, of whom 2,810 were colored. The surface near the Ohio is hilly; the rest of the county is undulating. The soil is fertile. It is traversed by the Louisville, Cincinnati, and Lexington railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 52,933 bushels of wheat, 514,745 of Indian corn, 127,650 of oats, 38,322 of potatoes, 301,285 lbs. of tobacco, 25,718 of wool, 124,560 of butter, 40,000 of cheese, and 3,201 tons of hay. There were 3,164 horses, 788 mules and asses, 2,028 milch cows, 4,345 other cattle, 9,226 sheep, and 19,096 swine. Capital, La Grange.
Oldham, a market town of Lancashire, England, 6 m. N. E. of Manchester, with which it communicates by railway and canal; pop. in 1871, 82,619. Oldham is in the midst of a rich coal field, and owes its growth, which is comparatively recent, to its manufacturing facilities. It has 66 places of worship, of which 16 belong to the church of England; a blue coat school with an endowment of more than £100,000; a free grammar school, a lyceum, a mechanics' institute, and a subscription library. The principal branch of industry is cotton spinning; there are in the town and vicinity more than 150 mills, mainly for this process. Fustians, velveteens, corduroys, hats, brass and iron castings, rope, and leather are also made.