Olympia, a city, capital of Washington territory, and of Thurston co., situated at the head of Budd's inlet, the southern projection of Pu-get sound, 045 m. N. of San Francisco, 105 m. N. by W. of Portland, Oregon, and 95 m. S. S. E. of Victoria, Vancouver island, in lat. 47° 3' X., Ion. 122° 57' W.; pop. in 1870, 1,203; in 1875, about 1,500. It is connected with Turn water on the west by a bridge 520 ft. long across the mouth of the Des Chutes river, and a bridge 2,030 ft. long extends to the W. shore of the inlet, At Tuniwater the Des Chutes by a succession of falls descends 85 ft. within a distance of 300 yards, affording abundant water power. Olympia is 15 m. N. of Tenino on the Pacific division of the Northern Pacific railroad, which affords communication with the valley of the Columbia river. The back country is heavily wooded, and the scenery, with the sound in front, the Cascade mountains on the right, and the Coast mountains on the left, is grand. The streets are broad and regular, and shaded with rows of maples and elms. The residences are handsome and surrounded with gardens. The public buildings are the capitol, a two-story wooden structure, a line city hall, and a court house and jail.
Large vessels can reach the wharf at high tide, but at low water a mud flat extending 1½ m. into the inlet prevents the approach even of small boats. The mean rise and fall of tides is 9.2 ft., and the difference between the highest and lowest tides is 24 ft. Two semi-weekly lines of steamers run to Victoria and intermediate points, and a daily line of stages connects with the railroad at Tenino. There are a soap factory, two boot and shoe factories, and a saw mill. The city has several stores, a private banking company, three hotels, two public and three private schools, and five weekly newspapers. The territorial and good templars1 libraries have each more than 6,000 volumes. There are six churches: Baptist, Congregational, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic. - The first white settlement was made at Olympia in 1846. It was laid out as a town in 1851, and incorporated as a city in 1859.
Olympia, a plain of Elis in ancient Greece, on the right bank of the Alpheus, about a third of a mile from the town of Pisa. It was the scene of the Olympic games, and was also famous for its sacred grove, where stood the groat temple of Jupiter Olympius, founded by the Eleans in 512 B. C, and containing the colossal gold and ivory statue of the god, the masterpiece of Phidias. The grove (which was surrounded by a wall) and its immediate neighborhood contained numerous other temples and public buildings, collectively, like the plain, called Olympia.
Olympias, daughter of Neoptolemus I., king of Epirus, wife of Philip of Macedon, and mother of Alexander the Great. Her imperious and jealous nature and the infidelity of Philip caused strife between them; and on the marriage of Philip with Cleopatra, the niece of Attains, in 337 B. C, she fled to the court of her brother Alexander, king of Epi-rus, whom she incited to make war upon Macedon. On the death of Philip, whose assassination she approved, she returned to Macedon, and, put to death her rival Cleopatra and her infant daughter. She was constantly at feud with Antipater, the regent during the expeditions of Alexander; and when in 323 he was placed in absolute control of affairs, Olympias withdrew to Epirus. On the death of Antipater in 319, the new regent Polysperchon sent for her to return to Macedon, but she determined to remain in Epirus until the war should be terminated. In 317 she took the field in person, together with Polysperchon, against Arrhidreus and Eurydice, whom she defeated and put to death. She also put to death Nica-nor, brother of Cassander, and 100 of his followers.
She was at last defeated and captured by Cassander at Pydna in the spring of 310, and soon after executed.