I. Henry Ustiek

Henry Ustiek, an American bishop, born in New York in March, 1789, died in Philadelphia, Dec. 6, 1858. He graduated at Columbia college in 1805, studied medicine in New York and Edinburgh, and in 1815 became associate editor with Dr. Valentine Mott of the "New York Medical Journal." He afterward studied theology, and was admitted to the ministry of the Protestant Episcopal church. In 1820 he became rector of St. Ann's church, Brooklyn, N. Y.; and in 1827 he was elected assistant to Bishop White of Pennsylvania, on whose death in 1836 he became bishop of that diocese. In 1844 he offered his resignation to the house of bishops, who not only accepted it, but also, after a trial on charges of intemperance, suspended him from the office and functions of the sacred ministry from and after Oct. 21. The suspension was removed in 1856, but he did not resume his episcopal functions. Bishop Onderdonk wrote several hymns contained in the Episcopal prayer book. His principal publications are: "Episcopacy tested by Scripture," published as a tract, and afterward enlarged to a volume entitled "Episcopacy Examined and Reexamined," containing reviews adverse to the tract by Albert Barnes and others (1835); "Essay on Regeneration" (1835); and " Sermons and Charges " (2 vols., 1851).

II. Benjamin Tredwell

Benjamin Tredwell, an American bishop, brother of the preceding, born in New York in 1791, died there, April 30, 1861. He graduated at Columbia college in 1809, studied theology, entered the Episcopal ministry in 1812, and in 1813 was appointed an assistant minister of Trinity parish, New York. On Bishop Hobart's death he was chosen bishop of New York, and consecrated Nov. 26, 1830. In 1838 the diocese of Western New York was formed, Bishop Onderdonk retaining the eastern portion. Charges affecting his moral character having been made, he was tried in December, 1844, by the house of bishops acting as a court; and after a long and searching investigation, the court decided (eight voting for deposition and nine for suspension) that he be suspended from the office and functions of the ministry, Jan. 3, 1845. He never acknowledged that he was guilty of the offences imputed to him, and urgent efforts were made for the removal of the suspension. After much delay, the general convention of 1850 passed a canon allowing a provisional bishop to be chosen.

The convention of New York adopted a petition to the general convention of 1859 in favor of Bishop Onderdonk's restoration, and the lower house supported it by a large vote; but the bishops rejected it.