Orange, a city of Essex co., New Jersey, on the Morris and Essex division of the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western railroad, 8 m. N. W. of Newark, and 12 m. W. of New York; pop. in 1870, 9,348. As often used in a general sense, the name includes, besides the city, the township of East Orange (pop. in 1870, 4,315) and portions of the townships of South Orange (pop. 2,963) and West Orange (pop. 2,100), composing the original township of Orange, set off from Newark in 1800. The average altitude of Orange and East Orange is about 100 ft. above tide. Their surface is gently rolling, and is drained by small tributaries of the Passaic and Raritan rivers. A succession of parallel swells, running N. E. and S. W., affords a variety of fine building sites, terminating at West Orange in Orange mountain, which has a uniform height of about 050 ft., with a broad crest available for residences. On its E. slope is Llewellyn park (50 acres), which is governed by an association of its residents, and under certain restrictions is open to the public. The region is very healthy, and is a favorite place of residence for people doing business in New York. The city has a police force and a paid fire department, and the principal streets are paved and lighted with gas.
In the N. part is the beautiful Rosedale cemetery of 50 acres. The manufacture of hats and shoes is the chief industry. There are four weekly newspapers (one German). Horse cars run to Newark. Within the limits of the original township there are six railroad stations, a national and two savings banks, seven hotels, two post offices, six public school build-ings, two public libraries, a hospital, an orphan asylum, and 22 churches. At South Orange are Seton Hall college and ecclesiastical seminary (Roman Catholic), the former having in 1 874-'5 20 instructors, 100 pupils, and a library of 8,000 volumes, and the latter 4 professors and 34 students. - The township of Orange received a town charter in 1800, and in the three following years East Orange and parts of South Orange and West Orange were set off. The town of Orange became a city in 1872.
Orange (anc. Arausio), a town of France, in the department of Vaucluse, formerly capital of the principality of Orange, about 3 m. E. of the Rhone and 13 m. N. of Avignon; pop. in 1800, 10,022. The streets are narrow, but the town is pretty well built, has fine fountains, and contains a cathedral and several other churches. There are also Roman remains, the most important of which is a triumphal arch 00 ft. high. Linen, cotton, and silk are manufactured, and there is trade in corn, wine, oil, and dyestuffs.