Orvieto, a town of Italy, in the province of Perugia, on the right bank of the Paglia, at the confluence of the Chiana, 60 m. N. N. W. of Rome; pop. about 8,000; of the commune, about 15,000. It has been the seat of a bishop since 509. It has a magnificent Gothic cathedral of white and black marble, dating from the 14th century and filled with remarkable works of art; several palaces, one of which is also rich in works of art; and deserted convents and ruined churches. The town is on a high steep hill, and is well built and clean and surrounded by a wall. Orvieto is celebrated for its white wine, and has a considerable trade in cattle, grain, and silk. Since the opening of the Orte trunk railway, March 13, 1874, it has grown rapidly in population and importance. From its strong position it has often been a place of refuge for the popes in troublous times. Tombs and relics discovered here make it certain that it was the site of an ancient Etruscan city, and the present name is supposed to be a corruption of Urbs Vetus (old city), probably applied to the ruins after the real name had been lost.