A Central County Of New York, bounded W. by the Unadilla river, and watered by the Susquehanna river and Wharton, Butternut, Otego, Schenevas, and other creeks; area, about 1,050 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 48,967. Its surface is traversed from N. E. to S. W. by several ridges, between which are broad valleys. Otsego lake, 8 m. long and 1 m. broad, is in the northeast, and has an elevation of 1,193 ft. above tide; and Schuyler lake, about 3½ m. long, is in the northwest. The soil is various in quality, but generally fertile. It is intersected by the Albany and Susquehanna railroad and its Cherry Valley branch, the Cooperstown and Susquehanna Valley, and the Utica, Chenango, and Susquehanna Valley railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 40,292 bushels of wheat, 24,274 of rye, 250,901 of Indian corn, 990,727 of oats, 41,003 of bar-lev, 130,692 of buckwheat, 626,836 of potatoes, 3,566,286 lbs. of butter, 829,439 of cheese, 199,937 of wool, 2,919,629 of hops, 263,511 of maple sugar, and 188,274 tons of hay. There were 13,462 horses, 45,603 milch cows, 18,801 other cattle, 43,402 sheep, and 11,864 swine; 12 manufactories of agricultural implements, 5 of brick, 61 of carriages and wagons, 41 of cheese, 12 of tanned and 7 of curried leather, 7 of machinery, 3 of musical instruments, 28 of saddlery and harness, 8 of sash, doors, and blinds, 4 of woollen goods, 19 flour mills, 38 saw mills, and 4 planing mills.
Capital, Cooperstown. H. A N. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, drained by branches of the Au Sable, the Manistee, the Cheboygan, and other rivers; area, 576 sq. m.; returned as having no population in 1870. It has an undulating surface, mostly covered with pine forests.