Oviedo, a city of Spain, capital of a province of the same name (see Asturias), 15 m. S. W. of the seaport Gijon on the coast of the bay of Biscay, and 230 m. N. W. of Madrid, near the Nalon river and on the Leon railway; pop. about 13,000. It has a cathedral and a large number of monasteries and church establishments, a considerable university with a library of 12,000 volumes, many charitable institutions, and an especially fine hospital. The town is well though irregularly built, contains ten public squares, and has several of the most ancient churches in Spain. A fine aqueduct of freestone, supported on 41 arches, supplies the city with water. The manufactures are few (linens and woollens, hats, arms, &c), and the trade is insignificant. - According to some authorities, Oviedo was founded by Froila L, grandson of Pelayo, about 760; according to others, it is of more ancient origin. It was the capital of the kingdom of Oviedo till 914, when Ordoilo II. transferred his residence to Leon. It was the scene of repeated conflicts during the middle ages; and the church establishments attracted so many prelates to it for refuge, that it became known as the city of the bishops. Later it was for a short time the seat of an archbishopric.
It was pillaged by Key's troops in 1809, and afterward by those of Bonnet and others.