Oxfordshire, a S. county of England, bordered S. and S. W. for 70 m. by the river Thames or Isis, and enclosed by the counties of Warwick, Northampton, Buckingham, Berks, and Gloucester; area, 735 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 177,956. It is very irregular in outline, and the surface is greatly varied. In the southeast are the Chiltern hills, abounding in forests and tracts of fertile land; the central and northern portions, with the exception of a not very elevated ridge, are mostly flat, but well cultivated. The principal rivers are the Thames, or Isis (by which latter name it is known until it is joined by the Thame), the Evenlode, Windrush, and Cher-well. The soil is generally very fertile, and the population is principally engaged in agriculture, especially in dairy husbandry. The county has long enjoyed a reputation for its beautiful woods, and the abundance of its meadows and pastures. There are many interesting antiquities. The principal towns are Oxford, the capital, Woodstock, and Banbury.