Paramaribo, a maritime city, capital of Dutch Guiana, on the left bank of the Surinam, 20 m. from the sea; lat. 5° 50' N., Ion. 55° 13' W.; pop. about 18,000, half of whom are blacks. Three canals traverse the town; the streets are regularly laid out and well kept; and the houses, many of which are of wood, are surrounded by gardens. The bank of Surinam, situated here, with a capital of $400,000, is the only one in the colony. The port is safe, commodious, and well frequented. Paramaribo is the centre of the Dutch West India commerce. Its principal exports are sugar, molasses, and rum (all to Holland), coffee, cotton, and indigo, with cacao, fancy woods, and timber. Manufactured goods, machinery, provisions, ginger, drugs, wines, etc, are extensively imported. The total value of the exports for the year ending Sept. 30, 1873, was $1,244,115, and of the imports, $1,452,330. The entrances for the same year were 36 steamers, tonnage 15,900, and 107 sailing vessels, tonnage 20,939; clearances nearly the same.