Pas-De-Calais, a N. department of France, formed principally from the old province of Artois, bordering on the strait of Dover (Fr. Pas de Calais) and the departments of Le Nord and Somme; area, 2,550 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 761,158. It is intersected from S. E. to N. W. by a chain of hills which give rise to several rivers, the most important of which are the Scarpe and the Lys, branches of the Scheldt, and the Aa and the Canche, flowing respectively into the North sea and the English channel. These rivers are navigable and are united by canals. The Northern railway and its branches cross the department. Coal is found in small quantities. The soil is marshy in some districts, but is generally fertile. Much land is devoted to sugar beets. The manufactures are of tulles, cotton and linen stuffs and yarns, spirits, leather, gunpowder, soap, glass, and earthenware. The department is divided into the arrondissements of Arras, Boulogne, Mon-treuil, St. Omer, Bethune, and St. Pol. Capital, Arras.