Passaic, a N. county of New Jersey, bordering on New York, bounded S. "W. by the Pe-quannock and intersected by the Ringwood, Ramapo, and Passaic rivers; area, about 220 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 46,416. Its surface is diversified, and the soil is generally fertile. It is intersected by the Morris canal and the Erie railroad, the New Jersey division of the New York and Oswego Midland, and the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 15,223 bushels of rye, 68,407 of Indian corn, 36,467 of oats, 13,308 of buckwheat, 87,950 of potatoes, 159,418 lbs. of butter, and 11,396 tons of hay. There were 1,539 horses, 3,299 milch cows, 2,402 other cattle, 1,886 sheep, and 1,694 swine. There are a large number of manufactories, chiefly at Paterson, the county seat.
Passaic, a river of New Jersey, which rises in Mendham, Morris co., flows S. for a few miles and then E. between Somerset and Morris cos., then N. N. E. between the latter and Union and Essex cos., crosses Passaic co. in an easterly direction, and turning S. after a very devious course of about 90 m. enters Newark bar. It is navigable a short distance for sloops. At Paterson it has a fall of 72 ft. (or 50 ft. perpendicular), affording immense water power, which has been improved by dams and canals. It is much visited by tourists.