Charles Wilson, an American painter, born in Chesterton, Md., April 16, 1741, died in Philadelphia, Feb. 22,1827. He was by turns a saddler and harness maker, watch and clock maker, silver smith, painter, modeller, taxidermist, dentist, and lecturer. He received instructions in art from a German painter named Hesselius, and from Copley. In 1770 he visited England, and for several years was a pupil of West. Returning to America, he settled first in Annapolis and afterward in Philadelphia, and acquired celebrity as a portrait painter. Among his works were several portraits of Washington, and a series forming the nucleus of a national portrait gallery. He commanded a company of volunteers in the battles of Trenton and Germantown, and also served in the Pennsylvania legislature. About 1785 he commenced a collection of natural curiosities in Philadelphia, founding the well known "Peale's museum," in which he lectured on natural history. He aided in founding the Pennsylvania academy of fine arts.
Rembrandt, an American painter, second son of the preceding, born in Bucks co., Pa., Feb. 22, 1778, died in Philadelphia,' Oct. 3, 1860. In 1796 he settled in Charleston, S. C, as a portrait painter, and between 1801 and 1804 he studied in London under West, Subsequently he passed several years in Paris, and in 1809 returned to Philadelphia. Thenceforth till near the close of his life he was chiefly occupied in portrait painting. Among his other works were two well known historical pictures, "The Roman Daughter" and "The Court of Death;" the latter, 24 by 13 ft. in size, was widely exhibited. He published "Notes on Italy" (Philadelphia, 1831), "Portfolio of an Artist" (1839), and"Graphics" (1845).