A Division Of British Burmah, including the districts of Rangoon, Bassein, Mya-noung, Prome, and Toungoo, bounded N. by the Burmese empire and the division of Ara-can, E. by Tenasserim, S. by the gulf of Marta-ban, and W. by Aracan and the bay of Bengal; area, 36,454 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 1,533,505. The most important towns are Rangoon, Mar-taban, Pegu, and Prome. The whole province is intersected by branches of the Irrawaddy. The Sittoung waters the eastern parts; and both these rivers are navigable by vessels of considerable size to distances far beyond, the limits of Pegu. The Aracan-Yoma mountains, along the W. frontier, attain a height of from 3,000 to 6,000 ft. The minerals include iron, tin, lead, and precious stones. The climate is warm and moist, but is not unhealthy. The soil is fertile, and vegetation is luxuriant. Much of the surface is covered with valuable forests, and the agricultural districts of the Irrawaddy are the most productive and populous in the country. The .principal productions consist of rice, timber, particularly teak, gums, ivory, and various woods used in dyeing. - Pegu was formerly an independent kingdom, but after a series of contests, extending over many ages, it was conquered by the Burmese assisted by the Portuguese. The Peguans revolted about the middle of the 18th century, subdued the Burmese, and made their king prisoner.
A long series of wars followed, in which the Burmese were assisted by the English and the Peguans by the French; and the former at length became masters of the country. In 1824 war broke out between the British and Burmese, and among other provinces Pegu was conquered, but restored at the conclusion of hostilities in 1826. The imprisonment of the master of a ship, and some other British subjects, by the governor of Rangoon, led to a second war in 1852, which resulted in Pegu being annexed to the English possessions in India, and with Aracan and Tenasserim it was constituted the province of British Burmah in 1862. (See Burmah, Beitish.)
A Town In The Above Described Division, on a river of the same name, which falls into a branch of the Irrawaddy, 58 m. N. of Rangoon; pop. about 15,-000. The streets are broad and regular, and paved with bricks, and the houses are built of wood and elevated on posts. There is a remarkable pyramidal pagoda, built of brick, octagonal at the base, each side measuring 162 ft. Pegu, said to have formerly contained 150,000 inhabitants, was destroyed by the Burmese in 1757. It was captured by the British in June, 1852. The population is increasing.