Penn Ian, a village and the capital of Yates co., New York, on the outlet of Keuka (formerly Crooked) lake, 1 m. from its foot and 6 m. TV. of Seneca lake, 170 m. TV. of Albany and 95 m. E. by S. of Buffalo; pop. in 1870, 3,488. It is centrally situated in the lake region of western New York, and has a brisk and growing trade. The Northern Central railroad connects it with the New York Central on the north and the Erie on the south. The Sodus Bay and Corning railroad, now (1875) in progress, is to connect it with the Pennsylvania coal region and Lake Ontario. Two steamers ply daily during the season of navigation to Hammondsport at the head of Keuka lake. The outlet of this lake furnishes fine water power, and is bordered throughout its course by the Keuka Lake canal. The principal manufactories are two flouring mills, a barrel factory, a planing mill, and an extensive malt house. The principal depot and storehouses of the Northern Central railroad are situated here, and a rolling mill and horseshoe nail manufactory are in course of erection. The county buildings stand on a public square in the centre of the village.
There are two fire engine houses, a commodious public hall, five hotels, a national bank, an academic union school, two primary schools, three weekly newspapers, and five churches (Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic). - The village was incorporated in 1833. The name is composed of the first syllables of the words Pennsylvania and Yankee, some of the early settlers being natives of that state and some of New England.