Pererop, a town of European Russia, in the government of Taurida, and on the isthmus of its name, uniting the Crimea with the mainland, 85 m. N. by W. of Simferopol; pop. about 5,000, consisting of Russians, Armenians, Greeks, Tartars, and Jews. The isthmus, which divides the waters of the Sivash or Putrid sea, an inlet of the sea of Azov, from the gulf of Perekop, is about 18 m. long and 4 m. broad in its narrowest part. The town is situated in a barren, unhealthy district, devoid of fresh water, but its position is commercially and strategically important. The Tartars call it Or-Kapu, or Road Gate, while the Russian name, signifying trenches, is derived from an ancient line of defence traversing the isthmus, and consisting of a ditch and wall. The town, which presents a very mean appearance, is the seat of an active trade, immense quantities of salt being brought from the neighboring lakes to be distributed over the governments to the north. Perekop was formerly strongly fortified, commanding the entrance to the Crimea, and figured in the wars between the Turks and Russians. It was given up by the Porte in the treaty of Ku-tchuk-Kainarji in 1774, and permanently incorporated with Russia in 1783.