Perth Amboy, a city and port of entry of Middlesex co., New Jersey, at the head of Rar-itan bay and at the mouth of Raritan river, 36 m. N. E. of Trenton and 21 m. S. W. of New York; pop. in 1870, 2,861; in 1875, about 3,500. It is opposite the S. end of Staten island, with which it is connected by a ferry. A railroad bridge and ferry connect it with South Amboy on the right bank of the Raritan, whence there is communication with Philadelphia by the Camden and Amboy railroad. It has communication with New York by the Pennsylvania, New Jersey Central, New York and Long Branch, and Staten Island railroads. The Easton and Perth Amboy railroad, nearly completed, runs to the coal regions of Pennsylvania, and is intended to make Perth Amboy a large coal depot. The harbor is good and easily accessible to large vessels. The city contains six churches, a large public hall, a state bank, a young ladies' boarding institute, a cork factory, and a stoneware pottery. Fire brick is manufactured here, and has the reputation of being the best in the United States. Kaolin and other fire clays are exported in considerable quantities.
The shipping of the port, April 1, 1875, amounted to 36,800 tons. - Perth Amboy, or rather the point on which the city stands, was called by the Indians Ambo. It was settled about 1680 by a colony from Scotland, who named it Perth in honor of the earl of Perth, one of the proprietors; but the Indian name was so much used that finally the place took both names. It received a city charter in 1718, and for a time was the commercial rival of New York. It was at one period the capital of East Jersey. William Franklin, the last royal governor of New Jersey, was seized here by the patriots in 1776.