Perth, a S. W. county of Ontario, Canada, drained by the Thames and Maitland rivers; area, 842 1/2 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 38,083, of whom 16,575 were of Irish, 11,183 of English, 10,042 of Scotch, and 7,716 of German origin or descent. It is traversed by the Grand Trunk railway and its Buffalo and Goderich branch. Capital, Stratford.

Perth #1

Perth, a city of Scotland, capital of Perthshire, on the Tay, 33 m. N. by W. of Edinburgh; pop. in 1871, 25,585. The Tay is crossed by a fine bridge of nine arches, 880 ft. in length, connecting the town with the suburb Bridgend. Further down, the Perth and Dundee railway crosses on a handsome stone and iron bridge opened in 1864. The town was once surrounded by walls, of which no traces now remain. It is laid out with considerable regularity, with spacious streets crossing at right angles and lined with handsome freestone houses. There are several terraces and crescents and two fine public parks. Among the prominent public edifices are the ancient church of St. John, the county buildings, and the penitentiary, which is the general prison for Scotland. The town has a theatre, public library, and museum of the antiquarian and natural history society. The principal manufacture is colored cotton goods, and there are several ship yards. The Tay is navigable to this port for vessels of 300 tons, and about 400 enter and clear annually.

The salmon fishery is important, Perth sending 250 tons annually to London alone. - Perth is supposed to be of Roman origin, was made a burgh in 1106 and fortified in 1210, was the capital of Scotland till 1437, and has been the scene of some remarkable events in the history of that country. It was captured by Edward I. in 1298, by Montrose in 1644, and by Cromwell in 1651. It was occupied by Dundee in 1689, and by the highlanders in 1715 and 1745.

Perth, Scotland.

Perth, Scotland.

Perth #2

Perth, a city of Australia, capital of the colony of West Australia, picturesquely situated on the Swan river, 12 m. above Free-mantle at its mouth, and 1,700 m. W. N. W. of Melbourne; pop. in 1871, 5,007, including the military and convicts at the depot. It is the seat of an Anglican and a Roman Catholic bishop. The principal buildings are the city hall, an imposing structure entirely built by convict labor, a mechanics' institute, the governor's palace, and the pensioners' barracks. It had two newspapers in 1873. Perth was constituted a city in 1856.