A Town Of Asiatic Russia, in the littoral province (Primorsk), on the S. E. coast of the peninsula of Kamtchatka, in lat. 53° 1' N., Ion. 158° 43' E.; pop. in 1867, 479, exclusive of the garrison. It is the capital and principal military station of the district of the same name, formerly province of Kamtchatka. The harbor, in Avatcha bay, is good, has a lighthouse, and is defended by two forts. The town contains large stores of the Russo-American commercial society. Large quantities of dried fish are exported.
A Town Of Siberia, in the province of Akmolinsk, on the river Ishim, 175 m. W. N. W. of Omsk, on the great post road of Siberia; pop. in 1867, 8,220. It is an important military post, and has a cannon foundery. A large trade is carried on with other parts of Siberia, Turkis-tan, and the W. part of China, Petropavlovsk being a station for the caravans from Bokhara, Khiva, and the Kirghiz steppe.