Phcenixville, a borough of Chester co., Pennsylvania, on the right bank of the Schuylkill river, here crossed by two fine bridges, at the mouth of French creek, and on the Philadelphia and Reading and the Pickering Valley railroads, 25 m. 1ST. W. of Philadelphia, and 26 m. S. E. of Reading; pop. in 1850, 2,670; in 1860, 4,886; in 1870, 5,292. The Delaware River and Lancaster railroad, a projected trunk line between New York and the west and south, is to pass'through the borough, which is intersected by the Schuylkill navigation company's canal. Phoenixville has an extensive trade with the surrounding country, which is rich in agricultural resources and contains mines of iron, copper, and lead, but it is chiefly devoted to manufacturing. The Phoenix iron works cover about 150 acres, employing in brisk times about 1,500 men. There are large copper-smelting and refining works, an extensive pottery, a sash factory, and cotton mills, a public park and a fine cemetery, water and gas works, three national banks, four public school buildings with graded schools, a seminary, two weekly newspapers, and nine churches.